Global connection of employees and the establishment of an integrated innovation process
- Transition to a more modern and digital idea management with the possibility to extend to innovation management and establish a transparent platform for creativity, communication, and potential for development
- Increase in the degree of openness (global and external) and navigation of content towards trends and technologies
Ensuring a sustainable competitive edge in an increasingly digital landscape requires proactivity and informed decision making. Companies need to tear down internal knowledge barriers in order to react to any changes in the market, to detect innovation potential and to adapt strategies accordingly.
In order to break down internal knowledge silos, KSB, a leading supplier of pumps, valves, and related systems, implemented the innovation platform iport in 2017. Today there are over 7,043 active users and more than 1,100 ideas have been submitted. Based on the ITONICS innovation platform, all employees worldwide can actively participate in the idea and innovation management.
Following the digitalization of the idea management, the platform was expanded at the beginning of 2019 in order to include the components ‘Corporate Foresight’ and ‘Competitor Analysis’, and has since formed the digital foundation of a KSB-wide cultural change towards an agile performance engine.
Initial situation at KSB
- Small group of participants, no community
- Small, local improvements
- Mostly only production areas involved
- Little effect of idea management on entire company
- Limitation of idea content by statue
- Limited activation mechanisms
% saving on processing time of ideas
A digital and accelerated idea and innovation process involving all organizational entities
- Frank Udo Kimm, Head of Idea Management, KSB
KSB is a leading supplier of pumps, valves, and related systems. These are used in a large variety of applications ranging from building services, industry and water transport to waste water treatment and power plant processes. Founded in Frankenthal, Germany, in 1871, the company has a presence on all continents with its own sales and marketing organizations, manufacturing facilities and service operations. KSB employs more than 15,000 people.