The Challenge: Speeding up Technology Foresight to stay at the Cutting Edge of Innovation
Innovation is an integral part of the Cisco DNA. With 25,000 engineers, more than 19,000 patents, and leadership positions in 18 different IT categories, Cisco already enjoys a rich history of high-tech innovation. Cisco has successfully managed to stay one step ahead of the competition.
This success is largely owed to Cisco’s unique method of structuring, classifying, evaluating, and visualizing novel technologies. In particular, this approach aims at early identification of new technologies and trends, enabling transparent and strategic decision-making, and promoting innovation.
Innovation at Cisco
- Cisco’s unique method of collecting, structuring, evaluating, and visualizing information on novel technologies in place
- Time-consuming process to connect all the information and link them to different business units
- Missing integration of Cisco’s worldwide technology scouting team into a seamless technology foresight process
ObjectivesCisco was looking for a powerful tool
- ... to digitize and optimize the already existing methodology,
- ... to accelerate the existing technology foresight process, and
- ... to identify technology-related threats and opportunities earlier than the competition.
technology scouts worldwide
Solution: Cisco Technology Radar based on ITONICS RadarCisco Technology Radar based on ITONICS software solutions supports all phases and activities of technology management from technology identification to selection, assessment and dissemination within the organization.
1. Identification phase
Submission of over 400 entries to Cisco Technology Radar by more than 150 technology scouts
2. Selection phase
3. Assessment phase
Review and deep analysis of technologies by experts on relevance, business potential, need for action, implementation risk, etc.
4. Dissemination phase
Cisco operates in a world of increasing market volatility and globalization. With the Technology Radar we found a solution to effectively and efficiently manage novel technologies to maintain and enhance our competitive position. - Sylvain Baron, Corporate Strategic Innovation, Cisco
Cisco is a global market leader in the IT and technology sector. When it comes to the development and linking of networks or the automation and integration of IT-based products and services, Cisco – with its more than 30 years of experience – is the enabler in an increasingly digital world. Founded in San Francisco in 1984, this company today has a global headcount of more than 74,000 employees working at more than 380 locations. Cisco constantly seeks to transform how people connect, communicate and collaborate.
Request a Demo