CUSTOMER SUCCESS STORY
Turning ideas into action at DISH
How DISH Network Corporation is leveraging ITONICS to unlock groundbreaking ideas and integrate new innovations into the company's strategy, operations, and product development.
"Our industry thrives on innovation, and having a cohesive platform to manage our innovation process is vital. ITONICS is a game-changer for the innovation programs at DISH. It provides us with the comprehensive, efficient, and transparent single point of truth we needed."
– Morgan Kirby, Engineering Director,
DISH Network Corporation
Efficient innovation programs
In the dynamic world of the media industry, the mandate to remain competitive is not merely an aspiration, but a business necessity. For a pioneer like DISH Network Corporation, known for its direct-broadcast satellite service, innovation serves as its operational lifeblood. The rapid advancement of technologies and evolving consumer behaviors continuously reshape the media landscape, underscoring the need for DISH to persistently evolve and transform. The introduction of fresh ideas and innovation is vital to retaining market relevance, enhancing the customer experience, and driving sustainable growth.
As a frontrunner in the media industry, DISH has consistently spearheaded innovation to meet the changing demands of its consumer base. With ITONICS now in its toolkit, DISH is all set to continue pushing boundaries and shaping the future of media technology.
Initial situation at DISH
DISH Network encourages its employees from all business units and functions to actively contribute innovative ideas, relevant news, and emerging trends. Initially, this information was gathered via Google Forms. Submissions were collected bi-weekly, subsequently screened by the respective directors, and subjected to a mandatory analysis. The outcome of this would guide the potential implementation of these ideas.
- Lack of a streamlined, unified platform for managing the innovation process, which was spread across forms, spreadsheets, and slide decks.
- Difficulties in managing the innovation process and ensuring that information is captured correctly
- Lack of transparency for participants in the innovation program, particularly in how submissions were evaluated and feedback was given
- A time-consuming, manual, and weekly-reoccurring process was required to determine key innovation metrics
- Previous system did not allow DISH to "zoom out," see trends, and understand relationships from the innovation submissions they received
Objectives of implementing a central innovation platform
The need for a new system arose with the intention to enhance and streamline the existing process. The goal was to consolidate all innovation activities under a single, unified platform for greater efficiency and coherence in managing and integrating ideas.
THE WAY FORWARD WITH ITONICS
A single point of truth for ideas and innovations
DISH leveraged ITONICS’ campaign feature to host its annual Innovation Tournament, a modified form of a hackathon involving over 300 participants across a two-month period and resulting in 80 completed projects. This initiative was run across four phases including team sign-ups, project plan submissions, the innovation tournament, and judging.
3. Innovation Tournament
Teams that completed their project plans moved on to the Innovation Challenge phase.
During this phase, teams worked on their project and created prototypes and demos. Their final submissions were added to their campaign submission in anticipation of judging.
In the final judging phase, project stakeholders reviewed each team's final submissions, including developed prototypes and project demos. Through rigorous evaluation, they provided feedback, identified outstanding projects, and announced the champions of the Innovation Tournament.
1. Sign Up
The first phase involved having teams sign up to the Innovation Tournament using the campaign feature.
Here, teams provided details such as their names, members, their chosen topic areas, and their preliminary project ideas.
2. Project Plan
With the details from the sign-up phase in hand, submissions were moved to the project planning phase.
The teams revisited and refined their initial submissions by responding to an array of project plan questions. These questions aimed to help teams crystallize their innovation ideas, detailing out the specifics of the project, their execution strategy, required resources, and any potential risks they foresaw.
- Efficiency enhancement: The new digital platform enhanced the efficiency of the innovation process, reducing the complexity and confusion caused by the former fragmented system.
- Increased participation: The Innovation Tournament saw participation from over 300 individuals, forming 98 teams, resulting in 80 high-quality projects—surpassing metrics from past tournaments.
- Implementation success: Of these, 20 innovative projects are moving through the DISH innovation process pipeline for potential incorporation into internal processes or the product pipeline.
- Transparency: It increased transparency in the innovation program, fostering a more collaborative and open environment.
- Process automation: The manual work of determining key innovation metrics was significantly reduced, saving time and resources.
- Insightful analytics: The platform allowed DISH to see trends and understand relationships between various innovation submissions, helping identify promising opportunities.
About DISH Network Corporation
DISH Network Corporation, based in the United States, is a prominent television service provider that also owns the direct-broadcast satellite service known as Dish, frequently referred to as Dish Network. It is also responsible for the operation of Sling TV, an over-the-top IPTV service. Furthermore, DISH provides mobile wireless services through its subsidiary, Dish Wireless.
Learn more about how innovative companies implemented a world-class innovation ecosystem. Get a free demo!
More best practice stories from other ITONICS clients
A digital and enterprise-wide idea management system
The innovation platform at Leonhard Weiss, powered by ITONICS, has become the central and company-wide place to go for everything related to trend and technology scouting, idea generation and innovation portfolio management.
A foresight movement at Dolby
Dolby is using ITONICS' Innovation OS to help build an internal foresight movement in motion. The platform forms the digital engine of the Dolby Futures Council, an internal institution which deals with all issues relating to possible futures.
Today, about 30 stakeholders are an active part of the initiative, anchoring foresight throughout the organization.
KPMG’s Global Innovation Platform
KPMG Illuminate, powered by ITONICS, KPMG innovation leaders and teams worldwide can co-create innovative solutions and ideas together with their networks and ecosystems, driving value and growth for KPMG and its clients.
Driving innovation with corporate foresight at Intel
In this podcast episode, we discuss the Intel Corporate Foresight Program with John Miranda, Director of Strategy, Office Data Center, and the AI Group. Learn how Intel operates a global trend community to continuously shape the company's course.
Innovate Everywhere Challenge powered by ITONICS
The Innovate Everywhere Challenge, running on the ITONICS Innovation OS, is now a best practice for innovation management at Cisco. And around the world. Find out how Cisco engages more than 50,000 employees year after year in a competition that has spawned a company-wide startup culture.
Technology scouting to drive therapeutic innovation
Merz Therapeutics is using a tech scouting platform powered by ITONICS to more transparently gather and evaluate insights on activities in their business environment and to make informed decisions on how to expand their product portfolio.